- Written by webmin
The top sale from Mecum’s recent Kansas City auction? A 1965 Corvette Convertible 396/425hp, four-speed with Bloomington Gold Benchmark status that changed hands for $188,000.
The well-preserved Rally Red big-block was one of a total of six Corvettes among the top 10 highest sales reported during the two-day auction, March 11-12. Gross sales from the event, excluding buyer’s premium, totaled $6.6 million, with a 64 percent sell-through rate.
The number two top earner was a five-year-old Ford GT that crossed the block for $157,500. Dearborn’s incredible mid-engine supercar was produced in limited numbers during 2005-2006. The car’s original MSRP was $139,995 which Ford increased to $149,995. Pile on some options and the premium many dealers were charging, however, and the price could easily reach $160,000. It’s interesting to see that these cars aren’t depreciating like used Explorers. Rounding out the top 10:
1. 1965 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot S65) at $188,000
2. 2006 Ford GT (Lot S108) at $157,500
3. 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (Lot F111.1) at $78,000
4. 2000 Bentley Azure Convertible (Lot S121.1) at $62,000
5. 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot S64) at $60,000
6. 1937 Ford Coupe (Lot S146) at $60,000
7. 1966 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot S130) at $56,000
8. 2010 Chevrolet Nickey Super Camaro (Lot F175) at $53,000
9. 1965 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot S82) at $53,000
10. 1966 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot S51) at $51,000
Mecum’s flagship event, Dana Mecum’s Original Spring Classic Auction, where 2,000 vehicles will cross the auction block, is set for May 17-22 in Indianapolis, Indiana. Consignments are still being taken for the six-day auction, and interested buyers and sellers can call 815-568-8888 or visit www.Mecum.com for more information.