- Written by webmin
Dana Mecum’s Original Spring Classic, held last week, in Indianapolis, Indiana, boasted an impressive 80 percent sell-through on more than 3,000 lots that included vehicles as well as an array of petroliana and memorabilia.
The top earner was a 1971 Hemi ‘Cuda that hauled in $550,000. The True Blue Metallic car was said to be the highest known serial number Hemi ‘Cuda in existence (it was billed as the “last Hemi ‘Cuda”) and had 23,746 miles showing on the odometer.
The car has previously been a no sale at Mecum auctions, dating as far back as 2007, bidding up to $525,000 at Mecum’s Kissimmee auction in 2009; $370,000 at Mecum’s St. Charles Auction in 2009; $400,000 in Kissimmee in 2010; $375,000 at Monterey in 2010; and $380,000 in St. Charles in 2010. The car was also spotted in a dealer’s inventory prior to its sale last month, with an asking price of $599,000.
All told, there were 1,981 vehicles consigned to the Spring Classic, 66 percent of which found new owners tallying up to $47 million in sales. Nearly $1 million worth of memorabilia items were sold, with a 97 percent sell-through rate on 1,463 lots. The top-selling memorabilia item was a 60-inch round Chevrolet Super Service Milk Glass Neon Sign (Lot K387) that changed hands for an incredible $20,000.
“We are proud of the excitement shown by collectors, enthusiasts and spectators participating in our Spring Classic event, as we delivered on our mission to make the world’s largest collector-car auction even larger than last year,” Dana Mecum said.
Mecum’s 2011 Original Spring Classic Top 10 Vehicle Sales (all sales reflect hammer prices) were:
1. 1971 Plymouth Hemi ‘Cuda (Lot S266) at $550,000
2. 2006 Prevost Featherlite Vantare H3-45 (Lot F45.1) at $525,000
3. 1963 Shelby Cobra 289 Roadster (Lot S226) at $490,000
4. 1967 Chevrolet Nickey/Bill Thomas 427 Stage III Camaro (Lot S193) at $400,000
5. 1969 Chevrolet Yenko Super Camaro (Lot F234) at $345,000
6. 1969 Chevrolet ZL1 Camaro (Lot S199) at $305,000
7. 1973 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona (Lot S132) at $265,000
8. 1969 Chevrolet Yenko Chevelle (Lot F223) at $260,000
9. 1957 Ford Thunderbird Phase I D/F (Lot F228) at $260,000
10. 1970 Plymouth Hemi ‘Cuda (Lot S143) at $225,000